Tired of being yet another face in a sea of other students just like you?
Have trouble standing out in class, around campus, or life in general?
Is it time you finally had your fifteen minutes of fame?
If you answered yes to any or all of these questions it’s time for your face to finally make the big screen. This week’s column can help you do this! This guide provides a solution to all your problems.
How to make it onto the Jumbotron at a basketball game
1. Have a clever, synchronized dance ready to bust out with the people you go to the game with. For those of you who have seen the State Farm fancam commercial, execution of the simultaneous is key. Watch for some inspiring moves: State Farm FanCam Commercial.
2. Or maybe you don’t need anyone to hold you back and prefer to go solo so you can freestyle your dance moves. Wild, cliché, or simply weird will surely work. You will probably fall under one of two categories for this option: either “Awkward White Guy Dancing” (Mr. Roboto on the Jumbotron) or “You Just Made Jumbotron History” (Livin On A Prayer Jumbotron). True fancam talent and commitment from this soloist here.
3. If accessible, have or find a cute child to show off to the crowd. True, the attention might be focused on the kid, but let’s face it: Who wouldn’t rather see an adorable three-year-old do funny things than a less-lovable grown-up?
4. Guys, hide behind a group of attractive girls. Odds are the cameramen are going to be a little biased and prefer to show them and not you if you haven’t followed steps one through three.
5. Disgustingly eat a hotdog or serving of nachos and you can end up on the regurgi-cam. Here, everyone can witness your repulsive eating habits. The regurgi-cam masterfully displays fans eating their favorite foods from the concession stand.
6. Become a super fan with a distracting outfit, and no Jumbotron can resist showing you off. Anyone can appreciate pride in your favorite team.
7. Have a huge sign that is well thought-out and make sure everything is spelled correctly . . . unless you want that kind of attention. However, please be courteous with your huge poster and don’t forget that all the people sitting in the row behind you probably came here to actually watch the game.
8. Get extra cuddly with your significant other or the cute guy/girl who’s just as into basketball standing next to you and maybe you’ll make it on the KissCam. More advice: be careful who you sit next to. This can go horribly wrong if not planned out.
A word of caution to each of these helpful tips: you must commit. They won’t work if you are not fully invested. You deserve to stand out. Like mom always told you, you are a shining star and a special individual.
Do Not Try:
1. Getting into a fight. Sporting events are reputable functions that should be appreciated and respected.
2. Taking off your clothes. The tech team is quick enough to cut your 15 seconds of fame to less than one if they think you are going to show your stuff. Quite honestly, if it took the fancam to make you willingly show off in front of 20,000 people, odds are it’s not just the cameramen who doesn’t want to see what you’re really made of. Streaking down a football field, however is a completely different circumstance.