Lady Gaga announced on November 2nd that she is launching the Born This Way Foundation, a non-profit project dedicated to youth empowerment. Gaga, a constant supporter of anti-bullying causes and an encourager of acceptance started the foundation with her mom, Cynthia Germanotta.
Although Gaga hopes the project will be “a place for Bravery, Love, Acceptance,” young people today could also find inspiration for individuality in some of Gaga’s most shocking moments:
- Showing up to the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards dressed as a man.
- Repeatedly incorporating fake dripping blood and deaths into her performances.
- Wearing a dress that looks like it’s made out of meat.
- Asking United States President Barack Obama to make a law against bullying.
- Referring to her fans as “little monsters.”
- Wearing a dress made entirely of bubbles.
- Announcing her celibacy in a Vanity Fair interview.
- Performing a dance routine in a wheelchair in her “Paparazzi” music video.
The Born This Way Foundation, in partnership with the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, the John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and the California Endowment will launch in 2012. Check it out.